This recipe is one of my new favorite things - we've repeated it already :) I don't really like "buffalo" wings. I love BBQ wings, teriyaki and the like, but I don't love buffalo. However, I. LOVE. THESE. They are just the right amount of spicy flavor and the cream cheese and mozzarella really help mellow it out. Plus, they're easy and they're baked. Can't go wrong!
Buffalo Chicken Taquitos
adapted slightly from RealWomenofPhiladelphia (thank you Pinterest!)
Ingredients
2-3 cups shredded chicken (We used canned chicken - 2 -12.5 oz cans)
1 1/2 T butter
3/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. onion powder
1/2 t. seasoned salt
3 oz. cream cheese
1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup Frank's RedHot Buffalo Sauce (this is just our favorite kind...use whatever you've got!)
1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
flour tortillas (14 fajita sized (5-ish") or 8-10 medium sized 8" tortillas)
vegetable oil or cooking spray
Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Add season salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute.
Add cream cheese, milk, and buffalo sauce. Stir until cream cheese is completely melted and sauce is well combined.
Add shredded chicken and heat through.
Lay out a tortilla. Fill with a generous spoon (I'd guess about 1/4 cup) of chicken mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Roll tortilla tightly and place on a greased cookie sheet seam down.
Repeat until all chicken mixture is used. Brush all tops and sides of taquitos with vegetable oil. (We also just sprayed them with veggie oil cooking spray once and it turned out great, too!)
Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Rotate them every 5 minutes. (*They are BEST when you take the time to rotate them, but even just flipping them halfway through is good too. And once, we didn't flip them at all...and they were still great!).
Serve with ranch or bleu cheese (yuck!) dressing.
* * * * *
Great sides: It just feels (and tastes) right to serve it with carrot and celery sticks and ranch. I'd go lighter with the sides on this one.
Leftovers: YES! This fills about 14 5" tortillas or 8-10 8" tortillas. They reheat VERY nicely. And, I was on a food blog once that showed how you could freeze taquitos before you even bake them to have a freezer meal. Just preheat your oven and cook them a little longer than suggested time. I've never tried it, but it looked like a great idea.
Our Rating: Make it a regular!
Mmmm! Sounds yummy! We'll have to give this one a try!
ReplyDelete