Pages

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Stupid Human Moment

Just about a year ago, Joshua and I had our first emergency room experience together. I've heard before that couples must go through some sort of traumatic event before they can be assured that the relationship is a solid one. I don't know if I believe it but...check. Done. And passed it with flying colors.

The story is so embarrassing to tell - it is one of the stupidest things I have ever done. So rather than give the whole story, let me express it using math.




                    
                                                                                       +






          
                                                                                =







Ew. Gross. Yes, that cactus looking thing is my finger. Seven stitches later, they had me all patched up and sent home. The worst part? This happened the last day before students came back from Christmas break. Let's just say...I felt like an idiot telling a bunch of middle schoolers that I'd blended my finger.

But, the doctors did a phenomenal job. A year later, you can hardly even see any scars! I only lost a TINY bit of feeling around the area (I can still feel with that fingertip, it's just a smidge dull), and it's like nothing ever happened. Except for the fact that I refuse to use that stupid kitchen contraption anymore. It's now Joshua's official job.

I post this because I learned two really important things from it:

a) Don't be dumb. Always unplug something before you touch any moving parts, electrical pieces etc. I don't know WHAT I was thinking (apparently...my lack of thinking was a key problem here). I'm afraid I'll be a bit of a worry wart now, but I seriously don't even stir something with a long spoon in the blender until the pitcher is off the motor. It's just a good idea.

b) Heavenly Father is good to me. I was so afraid that I'd lose that part of my finger or lose feeling in  my finger, but I didn't. Even though it was something stupid that was totally my fault, He knows me and my heart and what is important to me and helped everything to be okay. I believe humans often think, "Heavenly Father would never help this be better - I chose to do something stupid." But that is the beauty of God's love. Even when we do things that are contrary to what is best, Heavenly Father is willing to help us get through them and move to higher ground. He loves us.




No comments:

Post a Comment